I got a spiffy new cast iron Dutch oven from my in-laws and made a delicious roast chicken with rustic vegetables. I combined two recipes and added my own flare, based on what I had around. The result was… ok.
- 3.5lb whole chicken, gizzards and neck removed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 5 tsp Penzey’s Saté seasoning or a combo of curry powder, salt, chili powder, rosemary or any other herbs/spices you like
- 1/4 c olive oil, plus a little more
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 1 parsnip, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Secure wings and legs of the chicken with cooking twine. Rub the chicken with about half the seasoning and lemon zest. Whisk the rest with 1/4C olive oil and set aside.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron Dutch oven (just enough to cover the bottom with a thin layer) and brown each side of the chicken. Remove from heat.
- Place the chicken breast side down and add the vegetables around the chicken.
- Cover and place in oven. Cook for 1.5 hours or until the chicken reaches 165F internal temp. Baste every 20 mins or so with seasoning/olive oil mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!