Chicken and rice. That’s what Husband says he wants to eat. Chicken and rice. Ok… slightly less than helpful. But fear not! Cheese + broiler = best chicken and rice EVER. Well, almost. This chicken and rice recipe is super delicious too.
Ingredients (approximate measurements)
Makes 3 servings in 30 minutes (plus maybe 5 minutes prep time)
For the chicken:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp Penzey’s Northwoods Seasoning — OR a mixture of: coarse flake salt, paprika, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, garlic and chipotle — divided
- Pinch or two of Kosher salt
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
For the rice:
- 2 scoops rice (I can’t remember how much the scoop for our rice cooker holds… 1/2 C maybe?)
- 3 scoops water
- A couple shakes each Paprika and Chili powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with tin foil, shiny side up. Mix olive oil, pepper and 1/2 Tbsp Northwoods Seasoning and pour about a teaspoon into the foil-lined pan. Spread it around to coat the foil.
- Add the rest of the Northwoods seasoning to the remaining olive oil and set aside.
- Put the chicken in a large zip-lock bag, seal it, and pound the chicken with a rolling pin until it’s an even thickness. Remove a piece of chicken from the bag, pour 1/3 of the olive oil/seasoning mixture onto it, and rub the seasoning in on both sides of the chicken. Place the chicken in the foil-lined pan and repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly with kosher salt and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a rice cooker, combine the rice, water, paprika, chili powder, and butter. Cook the rice until done. You might want to stir the rice halfway through to make sure the spices are evenly distributed.
- After 30 minutes in the oven, check the chicken with a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be 160-165F. Take the chicken out of the oven, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the chicken evenly, and place under the broiler for 5 minutes until the cheese is beginning to brown. Internal temp should now be 165F. If it’s not, put it back in the oven until it is.
- Serve a piece of chicken on top of the rice. Asparagus with garlic butter or a side salad with a walnut vinaigrette would go nicely with this too.