This is a take on a previous post, Chickpea & Tomato Salad. For that one I suggested that the next time I make it I should include spinach. Well, I didn’t have any spinach and I also had less than a pint of grape tomatoes so I filled it out this time with corn and green beans. It turned out great! All the textures and flavors worked great together. This is a simple side dish that can add variety to your plate.
Also, I would like to point out that if you compare the two recipes, though they started out the same and have the same basic ingredients, they are slightly different. For example, I didn’t really measure some things this time around, I omitted things, I added things, and I substituted dried/powdered ingredients for fresh. All this to say: cooking isn’t as hard as you think and using what you have on hand shouldn’t be a chore or scary. Mix it up! Try different things to make recipes work for you and what you have in your pantry.
Chickpea & Veg Salad with Basil Honey Vinaigrette
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can french cut green beans
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- dried basil, to taste (probably about 2-3 Tbsp… or more)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl
- In a smaller bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk together. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.