There is nothing better than this standard when you’re sick. It is the epitome of comfort food. Not even chicken soup can compare to a good grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup, and there is no better way to make this tasty treat than the simple way! It’s so simple, in fact, I feel like writing down the directions is a great way to make it more complicated than it is, but here we go anyway.
- 3 slices American cheese
- 2 slices high quality multi-grain bread
- Margarine or softened butter
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Spread an even layer of margarine over one side of each slice of bread. When the pan is hot, place one slice of bread butter-side down. Evenly place the sliced cheese on the un-buttered side of the bread in the pan.
- Cook until the underside of the bread is golden toasted and crispy. Reduce the heat (reducing the heat will help the cheese melt and help keep the other side of the sandwich from burning)
- Place the remaining slice of bread, buttered-side up, on top of the cheese. Flip the whole sandwich in the pan. Cover and cook until the other side of the bread is golden brown and toasted. If the cheese hasn’t melted to your satisfaction, microwave it for a bit or, better yet, put it in a toaster oven.
- Serve warm with tomato soup.
- 1 can condensed tomato soup + 1 can whole milk or water
- 1 tsp or more dried Basil (to taste)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, to taste
- Sour cream, to taste
- Put the condensed tomato soup in a pot over medium-high heat and whisk in whole milk or water. Stir in dried basil. Heat until warm to your liking.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese. And don’t forget the grilled cheese sandwich!