Yep, this is one of the best meals we’ve made in a LONG time and it was incredibly easy. The inspiration for the chicken came from Spark Recipes, a website dedicated to healthy recipes. The spinach idea came from a recipe listed in a Penzey’s magazine. It all came together and I regret not making enough for leftovers.
Bourbon Garlic Chicken with Rice and Lemon Spinach
- White rice
- Penzey’s Garlic Powder, to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts (according to Spark Recipes, this would amount to 8 servings, 3oz. each—for my husband and I it is 2 servings)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Some bourbon (didn’t measure this; maybe 1/4 Cup?)
- 1 small can mushrooms
- 9 oz uncooked, washed baby spinach
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Rice: Prepare the rice in a rice cooker (white rice, water, butter). Add garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Chicken: Meanwhile, sautee the garlic in the butter. Add the chicken, mushrooms and bourbon. Cover and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160°F.
- Spinach: While the chicken and rice are cooking, melt 2 tsp butter in a saucepan. Add lemon juice and spinach. Cook until the spinach is… cooked. Add salt & pepper.
- Serve the chicken and mushrooms on top of a bed of spinach on top of a bed of rice.