This dinner was adapted from a recipe I found at AllRecipes.com. I am proud of it and I think the changes I made definitely made the dish a little bit better than it would have been. Today I get to be smug 😀
The original recipe uses beaten eggs to keep the breadcrumbs sticking to the chicken, but as with the Crisp Chicken Cutlets I made before, I have discovered the magic and power of buttermilk. So instead of dipping the chicken in egg I marinaded it in buttermilk and Worcestershire sauce, giving the chicken a bit of flavor, making the breadcrumbs stick better, and helping to keep the chicken tender and moist. It takes a little extra time, but it’s well worth it!
Also not included in the original recipe were instructions to sautee the mushrooms, especially not with balsamic vinegar, ginger or chives. It also excluded cream of mushroom soup from the chicken broth that is poured over the meat just before baking. Basically the original recipe was chicken… and mushrooms… and mozzarella—a very mild cheese. Those were the only flavors. I just kicked it up a notch 🙂 One thing I forgot to do when I made it was to add the cheese; doh! I plan to use Wisconsin White Cheddar next time.
Chicken with Mushrooms
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1+ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cups (at least) sliced mushrooms (3 cups was about 4 small cans of mushrooms and for me it was not enough)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Mozzarella cheese (or other cheese of your liking)
- Place thawed chicken breast halves in a large zip-lock bag, squeeze out all the air, and seal tightly. Using a rolling pin, bash the chicken for a while until slightly flattened. Pieces may come off; that’s ok. Add buttermilk and Worcestershire sauce, then seal the bag again. Marinade the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350° F (175 degrees C).
- In a skillet heat olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add the mushrooms, chives and ginger. Sautee until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat. Place 1/2 the mushrooms in the bottom of an ungreased 9×13″ baking dish. Set aside the other half.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Remove each piece of chicken and shake off excess buttermilk. Roll in the breadcrumbs to coat. Using the same skillet as the mushrooms, add a little olive oil if necessary, heat, then add the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on each side then place each piece on top of the mushrooms in the 9×13″ baking dish. Top the chicken with the rest of the mushrooms.
- Combine chicken broth and cream of mushroom soup; stir until mostly smooth. Pour over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160°F, then sprinkle the cheese over the top of the chicken. Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve!