I know, I know, it’s a bit late. Oh well. After eating this delicious meal I’m a firm believer that Corned Beef & Cabbage should be eaten more than once a year.
I am not going to waste words on trying to describe how delicious this is. It’s impossible. Just know that it’s… well, delicious!
My Husband’s Corned Beef Brisket Meal
- A package of corned beef brisket with seasoning packet (readily available this time of year)
- 1 whole cabbage
- 5 or 6 Yukon Gold potatoes
- Basil and Chives to taste
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2/3 C ketchup or bbq sauce (we used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ)
- 1/3 C vinegar
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp horseradish
- Fill a large pot (or a slow cooker) with water. Place the brisket and its seasoning packet in the water. Bring to a gentle boil. Leave gently boiling for 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, chop the cabbage and potatoes into chunks (1/4ths for the potatoes, 1/8ths for the cabbage). Set aside
- In a small saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, ketchup or barbecue sauce, vinegar mustard and horseradish. Simmer over low heat until well combined and glaze-like
- When the brisket is fully cooked, remove it from the water and place it on a broiler pan. Add the cabbage, potatoes, basil and chives to the boiling water. Cover and let boil until the cabbage and potatoes are tender
- Meanwhile, brush the glaze over all sides of the brisket and place in the broiler for 4 minutes. Glaze the top of the brisket again and broil for another 2-4 minutes (keep an eye so it doesn’t burn).
- When the glaze has set and the veggies are tender, serve and enjoy!