It’s Independence weekend and of course that means I took a red-white-and-blue themed dessert to work. This time I chose to do a cupcake version of a cake I made a while ago using a white cake mix and fruit punch flavored drink mix. They were an instant hit and even though there are only about 7 people who work in my office, 40 cupcakes were gone by the end of the day!
- 1 Box white cakes mix (I used Pillsbury because it was on sale) + ingredients to make the mix (eggs, water, oil)
- 1 Box cherry flavored gelatin OR 1 packet drink mix (enough for 1 gallon)
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz liquor (optional, works great with rum, bourbon or honey liqueur)
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- Make the cake mix
- Add the gelatin or drink mix to the batter and mix well (I used the cherry gelatin this time, but I prefer the stronger flavor of the drink mix. The color is much more vibrant with the drink mix as well)
- Line muffin tin cups with paper liners, spoon batter into the cups, filling about half-way.
- Bake according to the directions on the box (18 minutes for mine)
- Once cooled top with real whipped cream (recipe below) and blueberries
- Make whipped topping: With the whisk attachment on an electric mixer, beat heavy whipping cream until foamy, about a minute. Add liquor if using, and powdered sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Top with blueberries